Bealo's 320/6

bealo
E21 Fanatic
My E21(s): 83 316 1.8
82 320/6

Re: Bealo's 320/6

Post by bealo »

First up I sound deadened the inside with “fatmat”. Seemed to have good thermal and sound properties with a lower price tag compared to some of the other well known brands.

A little bit of heat and a roller made it easy to work with and to shape. I then used the standard e21 insulation/padding over this.
I had picked up a beige carpet which obviously wasn’t going to match my seats. I opted to dye it black and am pleased with the results. I applied the dye using a paint gun which gave a hive even coat. About 5 coats gave a good dark shade of black
:M20

You can't polish a turd.... but you can roll it in glitter!!!!
bealo
E21 Fanatic
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

Over the rest of February and into March I got the sunroof re fitted, rear pop outs and seatbelts along with the interior and front and rear screens.

On fitting the sunroof I spent hours trying to get it perfect but I’m pretty sure one of the cables is stretched/worn as is one of the guides so for now I can only open it in the tilt position. Not the end of the world but I will come back to this when I’ve sourced the parts needed (just like my fuel tanks which I now have a decent pair waiting to be fitted)

The seat etc were all straight forward and the front seats (recaros) were fitted using the method from the technical section. Thanks for that guys 👍 👌 all the measurements and info was spot on.
bealo
E21 Fanatic
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

April

Got the bonnet fitted along with mirrors and bbs front splitter… looking good now
Loads of other bits and bobs like new number plate light holders and number plates fitted.

Picked up a set of wheels, they are 15 x 8j so needed spacers front and rear, it’s looking good and nearly done
bealo
E21 Fanatic
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

So I had a target of April 7th for first drive as there is a local car meet that attracts about 150 cars.
All that was left was tracking and bleed the brakes again as they were spongy.
My mate who is a mechanic came over and tracked it for me but we couldn’t bleed the brakes.
Every time we got a good pedal it would sink to the floor again after a couple of mins. Everything was pointing to a faulty master cylinder which was brand new. We removed the master and disassembled it but was fine but after so many attempts at bleeding and pressure bleeding it started leaking.

So I didn’t make it to the meet and decided to have a break from it. Start of may I went back to it and was disappointed at what I saw. The brake fluid had continued to leak and ruined the paint on the booster and brackets and left streaks on the inner wing. I’ve since repainted everything and have a new master ready to fit
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Such a bad luck with the brake master, but we all know, these projects never run 100% perfect. But you're almost there and the interior just looks fabulous, love the matching Recaro cloth on the rear seat!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

Very very nice! A bummer for the brakes... Brakes can be a bit of a nightmare, but I found that a bit of tooling can make it much less of a hassle. Pressurizing the reservoir helps bleeding without risk of pushing the plunger in too far into the cylinder.

What was your starting point for the rear seat? An original seat with straw and all?
bealo
E21 Fanatic
82 320/6

Post by bealo »

I did try a pressure bleeder but no luck!

The rear seats are just the original seats. My interior guy got some genuine recaro cloth that matched the front and went to town on it!!