Hennarot 316 - 1983 - M10 1.8 Twin 40

Reck
E21 Pro
My E21(s): 83 316, 1.8 M10, RHD

Hennarot 316 - 1983 - M10 1.8 Twin 40

Post by Reck »

Hi all,

As some of you know I've been battling M10 overheating problems in my car for a while now - and no less than two replacement engines turned out to be duff! Let that be a lesson to anyone: NEVER buy an engine you haven't seen running in the flesh unless you can be absolutely sure of it's history. That said, I cannot state my appreciation enough to everyone who gave a helping hand (and often more) during this time; Dr Jim, murran, Nas and others.

After we installed the second engine and I started to experience oil pressure and overheating problems - I had a choice. Either take it into a garage (and risk needing a bottom end rebuild, or a new oil pump at the very least) or get another E21. I went for the latter after taking into account the cost it would have taken to have my old cars rust issues fixed along with the engine issues. It is sad to say goodbye to my old E21 which has served me very well as a daily driver for the past two years - only ever breaking down once when I needed her due to a leaky radiator! She will be put in storage and stripped for parts - and a rolling shell may be available to anyone who wants one in the new year, perhaps for use as a trackday beast.

I went to Scotland on Saturday morning to pick up the new E21. This car has had a couple of previous owners on the forums - NorthernRob and demk1. It's done 75k, has had NINE previous owners and apparently spent a good few years in Spain. It's kind of fitting that it has come to me as I checked out the logbook and the first owner was an old BMW dealership less than ten miles away here in Manc! The bodywork is in great condition for the age, which was my main concern when looking for a new E21. Picture album here; http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k57 ... erson1981/

Sellers description;

Twin Dollorto 40 carburettors
Velocity stacks trumpets
high flow piper cross sock filters
fully ported and pollished, reconditioned m10 cyclindar head
5 speed manual
Red top facet fuel pump (with internal override switch)
New radiator
Electric fan with overide switch
Battery cut of swith in glove box
Blistein dampers
Polybush anti roll bar bushes
323i vented disks and callipers on front
recent new cyclinders on rear
Genuine BBS alloys
Hella spot lamps
BBS front lower spoiler
Thatcham approved imobiliser
Kenwood stereo
New stainless exhaust back box
New engine mounts
New steering rack bushes

My plan of action;

Floorpan - First job is to strip out the interior and Por-15 the floorpan all over. It's in good condition and I'd like it to stay that way. There will also be a dinitrol/waxoyl treatment next year for the underneath.

Interior - Horrid bucket seats and a terrible 'retrim' on the back bench (no offence to the previous owners). I've got a half leather/half cord interior from Nas in great condition, inc matching door cards waiting to go in. I'll also be transferring the uncracked dash from my current car as the one in this one has cracked - I assume from sitting in the Spanish sun. The tacky sports steering wheel will also be replaced with a stock E21 item. All ICE will be moved from old car to new.

Wheels - The BBS on there at the moment will do for winter but as soon as spring rolls around I have a set of turbine alloys (also from Nas) that are in much better condition;

Gearbox - Although the current box is fine, it's spinning oil from the driveshaft seal. Not sure how much of a problem this is, but I'd rather get the rebuilt 5 speed from my previous car in there, along with new clutch master/slave cylinders.

Carbs - Currently running Dellorto twin 40's. They're untuned and backfiring horribly (which actually set the filter socks on fire - allowing me to negotiate a pretty huge discount from the seller!). I want to go back to the weber 32/34 DMTL but I'm not sure that's possible with the current head on the car as it's a 318i E30 head with external pump and the weber needs a mechanical pump.. If I can't do that, I'll reuse the injection system we fitted to my old 316.

Engine - Compression readings were low but I'm convinced that was due to valves that haven't been adjusted in ages, so first jobs for the engine are getting the timing and clearances done. The head was replaced in 2009 with an E30 318i ported and polished jobby along with new headgasket set, as I can see from reading NorthernRob's old threads. Already done a standard service inc plugs, leads, dizzy, oil and filter. I also want to flush the cooling system at some point. Engine runs nice and cool with the aftermarket electric fan which is a relief after my previous nightmare!

Suspension/steering - Most of the bushes look fairly new and were poly replacements. The track rod assemblies do need replacing though as wheel wobble is apparent and steering feels vague - might look into getting the bearings done too. Suspension is lowered on the front - can't tell how much, perhaps 40 or 60mm? Still a nice quiet ride without the 'crashing' I used to get over potholes.

I'll update this thread with news/pictures as it happens, but no doubt I'll be posting loads of noob questions in the tech forums as usual.

On a related note, I can't convey how good it feels to be back on the road. :driving

e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Re: Hennarot 316 - 1983 - M10 1.8 Twin 40

Post by e21-Mark »

Well done on sticking with it and am glad you seem to have bagged yourself a nice car there.

If I were you, I would get the 40's properly set-up before you decide to junk them. There's no reason why the engine shouldn't be perfectly sweet running and reliable with the 40's on. If you do decide to bin them though let me know. ;)

Hope you make some shows in it next year!

Nas' old symphony in beige interior looks much better too! :)
raseeda green
E21 Fanatic

Post by raseeda green »

Nice car in lovely colour , good luck with it... Those brown leather seats don't look too bad really, classic look..is best.
316 auto raseeda green
323 red m52 modified
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

e21-Mark wrote:Well done on sticking with it and am glad you seem to have bagged yourself a nice car there.

If I were you, I would get the 40's properly set-up before you decide to junk them. There's no reason why the engine shouldn't be perfectly sweet running and reliable with the 40's on. If you do decide to bin them though let me know. ;)

Hope you make some shows in it next year!

Nas' old symphony in beige interior looks much better too! :)

Haha! 'Symphony in beige' - I'll be using that. I'd love to get to some shows, although my work on the car is limited to weekends so this will be another project that drags out forever most likely.

Hmm, others have said they're not too reliable and need regularly tuning. Weren't you selling a pair not so long ago? Do you have any idea if they have the vaccuum attachments for a carbtune? http://www.carbtune.com/ I'll happily keep them if they're reliable, and to be honest the milage isn't as bad as I was expecting - I did 170mi on £40 with them on Saturday. I imagine that drops massively if/when I put my foot down though.
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

raseeda green wrote:Nice car in lovely colour , good luck with it... Those brown leather seats don't look too bad really, classic look..is best.
Cheers! Yes, I like the original look too. Hence me wanting an original steering wheel and gear stick.. The current one is wayyy too long, it feels like I'm shifting with a mop! I'm also considering getting rid of the front spoiler.
nas80
E21 Mad

Post by nas80 »

Congratulations man. Id have done the same as you.

You could make some money back or have a real nice parts stash after you strip your old one.

Bogg bros can rolling road set the carbs up and they don't charge too much. They do need checking now and then /tuned up but the noise and power they make is well worth it. Keep them!
[img]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a285/nasbucket/forumsig.jpg[/img]
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

I have a standard wheel spare if you want one quick. My engine man Mr Ric Wood will be able to fettle those webers, mention my name to him and he'll probably charge you extra!

I have a nice set of turbines too, are those e30 15" BBS? They look nice?

Jim
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I'd keep the front spoiler but move the number plate back to the front bumper.
drjim
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by drjim »

Agreed
1983 316 Pustergrun - track sluG!
1982 Saphirblau Baur 325i

Cars all gone!
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

Cheers Nas.

Nice one Jim, I'll pick it up off you next time I'm at the shop. I did try removing my old one once but didn't get very far.. Is there a nack to shifting that bolt? I didn't want to damage the steering lock. I'll query how much Ric Wood wants to tune, but I've also been told there's a rolling road somewhere in Bury and the guy there is a good carb tuner so I might see what he says too.

I have no idea if those wheels are from an E30, they're a bit tatty though. If they're not on spacers the offset might be wrong anyway? I'll also see how the numberplate looks back in the middle as I'm a big fan of symmetry! :screwy
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

Had my timing and clearances done today, as well as a bit of fettling on the carbs. Runs much better now, and idle is alot smoother. The fuel pressure was a bit low too so adjusted the FPR - no trouble getting up hills now!

Unfortunately the brass idle adjustment screw on one of the carbs appears to have seized, just can't turn it. Are there any tricks I can use to get it moving?
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

Been a while since I updated this..

Last week did a full service inc oil, plugs, HT leads, rotor arm, cap, new thermostat, rad and coolant flush. Currently collating parts to rebuild rear drums (backplate adjusters for the shoes are knackered) - scored a pair of new backplates for £40, with spring set and new shoes on the way. Might aswell replace the handbrake cables while I'm there.

Also got round to fitting the new interior. Will get some better pics up soon, these were taken on my old mobile. Gave it a proper hoover and had a chance to peek under the carpets and behind the back seat for the typical rust. It was spotless, don't think I'll bother with hammerite'ing the floor pan from inside!

Old one - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k57 ... terior.jpg

Now;

P.S. Thanks to DrJim for the original steering wheel. :)

Also replaced the knackered stereo with a KDCBT60U and some new JBL's in the back shelf;

Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

What be the power gain with 40mm Dell'Orto's or Webers?
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

Never had it on a rolling road... Head is from an E30 injection M10 and has been ported/polished iirc. Previous owner claimed 130bhp+ (90~ w/stock carb, 100~ w/single Weber 32/24) but to be honest I have no idea. Definitely fast than my old M10 though. :)
Reck
E21 Pro

Post by Reck »

Finally got round to putting the new shoes on (thanks Nas). Looks a bit tidier now..

[edit] With my crappy PS skills to simulate HDR haha!