Formula One topic

The place for everything non E21. Now with dedicated E12 & E30 sections
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Formula One topic

Post by Jeroen »

Today's sad news of Maria de Villota still being in a critical condition and having lost an eye in the accident perhaps isn't a good start, but still it's about time to start discussing F1, or not?
De Villota loses an eye after extensive surgery following crash during testing

Marussia test driver Maria De Villota has lost her right eye in the wake of Tuesday's accident at Duxford Airfield. The 32-year-old Spaniard is described as being in a 'critical but stable' condition after undergoing considerable overnight surgery at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. Team principal John Booth said: 'Maria emerged from theatre at Addenbrooke’s Hospital this morning after a lengthy operation to address the serious head and facial injuries she received in the accident at Duxford Airfield.

According to eyewitnesses, the accident occurred after De Villota had pulled up in front of her mechanics after completing her first lap of the day. As the mechanics approached to wheel the car back for service, it accelerated forwards and crashed into the stationary team truck parked nearby. The front of the Marussia car was destroyed in the crash and De Villota's helmet was seen to impact with the side of the truck. The cause might have been the car's anti stall system coming into action.

Myself I have a long history with F1. Started off doing some photography in the early 80's with some great names around me, like Senna, Piquet, Prost, Lauda, Mansell and Rosberg. You can see some photos here: http://www.bmwe21.net/?page_id=343

Over the 80's and 90's I've been a close follower of F1, hardly missing out on watching a race. These days I don't stay home for a F1 race anymore, but I love the way the current season is developing with 7 different winners in the first 7 races, leaving all possibilities still open. Not attending races anymore as the circus has become too big and commercial to be able to catch the atmosphere in a good way, but the vintage F1 racing that's been touring Europe for a few years now is a wonderful way of going back in time. See some examples in this link, taken at last year's Oldtimer GP in Germany: http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.p ... 09&start=3

Any other Formula 1 fans here?

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Re: Formula One topic

Post by dannyboy »

good idea this... my wife and daughter have to go out now when the f1 is on... its the only way i get to watch it from begining to end with the coverage that sky give..
I did watch yesterday on the sky f1 channel the 1956 german gp... fangio's fastest lap of the fabled circuit was 9.41 minutes.. amazing that a road car can go so much fast now? but still with out having to use the skill that would of taken fangio to hustle that car around in that time...
this current season is a gooden.. 8 races and 7 differnt winners..
ive been watching the f1 since around mid to late 80s.. every sunday with my father when i was a kid... its all his fault for my car passion... :thumbsup
e21 335i gone but not to far.
e21 316.. still
ford puma..(wifes honestly)
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nice!
dannyboy wrote:...fangio's fastest lap of the fabled circuit was 9.41 minutes.. amazing that a road car can go so much fast now?
Man, that was way over 50 years ago. Did you see what brakes they had, and how wide their tires were back then? And suspension, rubber quality, engine output... need I go on?

Still, it is always nice to see Master Fangio at work. Saw some vids recently and it is amazing what he can do with a car that doesn't brake and has no roadholding and still keep things pretty quiet inside the car and keep his balance!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
Duracel79
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Duracel79 »

I've been watching for years
Its gonna be a wet one at Silverstone at the weekend, may mix it up a bit.

Ben
1982 323i (S54 "Test Mule" - to be rebuilt into M20 powered track car)
1983 316 (Taiga Thunder - The refined S54 Race car)
1982 635csiA (New project)
1985 728iA (For Sale)
2004 330d Touring (The Daily Hack / Tow Car / Load lugger)
e21-Mark
E21 Master
My E21(s): 316 m52/2.8 Cat Cams & Jenvey ITB
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JackyardBackoff

Post by e21-Mark »

I used to work as a gopher in the Formula Opel Euroseries which was a support race for F1. I got to see the ''glamour'' of F1 from the other side and it wasn't glamorous at all. I was also at Imola the weekend when both Ratzenberger and Senna were killed. Very sad. We also ran Jan Magnussen prior to his brief stint with Stewart Grand Prix.

I still watch F1 although prefer DTM and BTCC. Early 90's was the ultimate time for the BTCC in my opinion. I watch footage now and still makes hairs on my neck stand up.

This years F1 rule changes have certainly added a new dimension to the racing. I would love to see Button take another championship. His driving style is brilliant and just so smooth.
dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Post by dannyboy »

late 80s to mid 90s btcc for me.. how the rs500s completely ruled the racing then... still i like the volvo 850r touring wagons but for me and still is when i see one on the road has me hankering after it is the alfa 155 widebody.... ahh bliss....
as for a road car lapping the nurenburg faster than fangio was just a point to show how a multi world champion whos name is one of if not the greatest of all the f1 drivers could hustle such cars a that speed back then.. and now any joe from the street who maybe has 5% of fangios car control complete a lap in less time in a modern road car.. will that be the case with our current f1 cars compared to a road car in 50 odd yrs time????
p.s isnt the lap record still held by stephan bellof.. 6.15 minutes ? only road/track car close to that is the zonda r... :crazy
e21 316.. still
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

I believe the late Stefan Bellof still holds the record indeed, unofficial 6.11 even, unofficial because it was at a qualifying lap. Amazing how records can stay in tact for so many years even though developments in race classes (or the end of a race class) as well as track modifications may have their influence as well. But another one in the series was the fastest lap set Le Mans by Gijs van Lennep in a 917. His record stood untouched from 1971 until 2010!

Some pics :wink: excuse for this old stuff is that both Bellof and Van Lennep used to drive F1. Had some photos of Bellof but can't find them on line (at least not my own pics)

917 in action at 2010 Le Mans Classic

Gijs van Lennep inspecting his Porsche 550 before racing it at the 2008 Le Mans Classic

The Zonda R did 6.47.50 but Dutchman Michael Vergers came pretty close with 6.48.00 in the Radical SR8 LM:

Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

That 917 photo (with 914/6) is stunning. 917 is the first real race car I remember from my childhood. I could have only been about 5 years old.
dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Post by dannyboy »

sorry pinched this off the net..

From what I heard at another forum there was ONLY 1 STREET LEGAL 917 built. It was made for Count Rossi exclusivly, the chief of the Martini & Rossi Racing Team
0-62.5 mph in 2.7 seconds
Top Speed 220 mph (aprox. 352 km/h)
Some Versions 246 mph (aprox. 394 km/h)

One German rebuilt a 917 to german road specifications.

:crazy
e21 316.. still
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

You mean this one in Austria?

Still, on the track they sound better haha

Oh man what a bunch of horrible off topic already in this brand new F1 topic :lol:
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Jeroen wrote:

I'd love to drive this. 8)
dannyboy
E21 Fanatic

Post by dannyboy »

back on track (lol) whats with Pastor Maldonado and hamilton.. is this hamiltons new felipe massa from last season?
e21 316.. still
Duracel79
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by Duracel79 »

All set infront of the TV for a wet & winy Qualifying

Ben
1982 323i (S54 "Test Mule" - to be rebuilt into M20 powered track car)
1983 316 (Taiga Thunder - The refined S54 Race car)
1982 635csiA (New project)
1985 728iA (For Sale)
2004 330d Touring (The Daily Hack / Tow Car / Load lugger)
e21-Mark
E21 Master

Post by e21-Mark »

Glad Alonso took pole. I'd like to see him take the championship as it's looking unlikely Button will.
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Another nice race and a nice win by Webber. But what the hell has happened to McLaren? I only hear stories about understeer and a general lack of grip!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen