Lifting Up An e21

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
guerciotti
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1981 European 316 1.6

Lifting Up An e21

Post by guerciotti »

Hi,

Could anyone recommend the best way to get an e21 up in the air on 4 jackstands / axle stands so I can change the gearbox oil?

I've gone online to investigate but there seems to be some debate about using the jacking points due to corrosion (mine doesn't have any corrosion by the way!).

Anyway I need one or more points to lift the the car using a trolley jack and another one to put the jack stand under before I lower the car from the trolley jack. Please bear in mind that I only have a simple garage and no lift!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Lifting Up An e21

Post by Jeroen »

Don't use the sides, for the front use the metal beams underneath the car, they are strongest just before they are bent upwards into the front wheel wells. For the rear you can use the rear subframe on both sides, this will give you best stability.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
uwbuurman
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): 1978 type 1 323i 5speed dogleg Polaris

Post by uwbuurman »

Yeah, well, I wouldn't get under a car that is sitting on 4 axle stands. Since the car has to be level in order to change the gearoil. Draining won't be the issue, but for filling, you'll need to top it off until it flows over the plug threath. Hence the need for it sitting level.

But a car on 4 axle supports is not all to stable. And you need to be in the middle under the car and if the plug is stuck, which happens over the years, you'll need some force, causing the car to move.... Wouldn't wanne be under there..

So if you realy want to do that without a ramp, than I would recommend putting it with the rear wheels on a pavement, on blocks of some kind and have it firmly sitting on wheels. Than you can put it on axle supports at the front.
It's the man next door!

1978 BMW 323i
1980 BMW 528i maior restitutio
1987 BMW 325iA cabriolet
2006 BMW 320d touring High Executive
2015 BMW 320dA touring xDrive High Executive ///Msport
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

Sissy :D I've done a fair share of gearbox and diff changes this way, usually threw a few piles of spare wheels underneath the car to be safe, luckily never was necessary. But safety first and I think it's been 20 years since I last did an operation like that and I've always used a professional lift since. Not only safer, but saves lots of time and your back!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
guerciotti
E21 starter
My E21(s): 1981 European 316 1.6

Post by guerciotti »

Thanks for your feedback - I think I'm going to take it to a local friendly garage and ask them to do it.