Motorsport Front Bumper Strip

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
mike baker
Newbee
My E21(s): E21 320/6

Motorsport Front Bumper Strip

Post by mike baker »

Greetings - can anyone help on this one ? My 320/6 has a BMW motorsport front spoiler fitted. The rubber strip needed replacing,so ordered one from W&N. Yesterday i started to replace the rubber strip only to find it was actually longer then the old one by 3 inches or so. I can only assume,the chrome bumper is longer ? but i can only find one rubber strip part number - 51111834874. Thanks in advance.

Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: Motorsport Front Bumper Strip

Post by Jeroen »

That's correct, the strip for the standard chrome bumper is longer, but it is your only option afaik, the strip for the Motorsport bumper is nla for decades already. Most people shorten it by making a very clean cut right in the middle.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

This is what mine looks like having done the cut 'n' shut method:

Measure several times, cut once! The strip has steel in it, but the outside is fairly soft. The way I did it was the stick masking tape on the bumper in the middle and draw a centre line, as this line will form the angle that the strip needs to be cut at. I cut the strip in half and bolted one side on, then transfered the line onto it, and cut the outside with a sharp knife. then cut the inner steel off the bumper. Repeat for the other side and if you've done it right, it'll meet perfectly, but what I also did was cut a piece of stainless steel that slotted into the steel to locate the two sides together. Oh, and don't forget the bottom support bracket, so many of these get forgotten and the bumper looks bent as a result!
Andy
mike baker
Newbee

Post by mike baker »

Thanks Jeroen, we decided to go that route.
Regards Mike.
mike baker
Newbee

Post by mike baker »

Thanks Andy.