Your top 5 performance mods?

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
LloydRT
Newbee
My E21(s): 320i

Re: Your top 5 performance mods?

Post by LloydRT »

uwbuurman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:09 am 1: bilstein-eibach setup. Not to low, not to hard, but much better than oem.
2: sportgearbox. So much fun driving in the mountains
3: pop out windows rear side. Combined with the sunroof they'll cool the car, even in hot summer conditions
4: e30 rear brake upgrade. Much better balance in the car when braking harder and more often. (See #2)
5: a blonde babe, such as my daughter. So much fun driving around with that female mini-me. Building memories.
Great to hear the Bilstein and Eibach setup is recommended here as well. Can't wait to start working on the car. Got to finish installing the exhaust and bumper from 4Wheelonline onto the Jeep this weekend.

petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Post by petroscf »

LloydRT wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:14 am
uwbuurman wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:09 am 1: bilstein-eibach setup. Not to low, not to hard, but much better than oem.
2: sportgearbox. So much fun driving in the mountains
3: pop out windows rear side. Combined with the sunroof they'll cool the car, even in hot summer conditions
4: e30 rear brake upgrade. Much better balance in the car when braking harder and more often. (See #2)
5: a blonde babe, such as my daughter. So much fun driving around with that female mini-me. Building memories.
Great to hear the Bilstein and Eibach setup is recommended here as well. Can't wait to start working on the car. Got to finish installing the exhaust and bumper from 4Wheelonline onto the Jeep this weekend.
Very happy with this set up as well. And, although everyone was proposing B6s claiming that the car would become too stiff with the B8s, I chose to hear Bilstein official prompts who said that B8 and B6 have the exactly same rate, only B8 are specially made for lowered springs, while B6 are for factory height springs. Bilstein suggest definitely B8 if combined with springs with lower than factory height.
I am so happy I made this decision. Car DOES NOT FEEL any stiffer than my previous combination (APEX and B6)
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Elinski
Newbee
My E21(s): '79 316 with 2 extra cylinders

Post by Elinski »

Hey everyone, I've been a member of Jeroen's group on FB for some time, but it's upgrade time.
As someone who's been modifying and restoring his E21 in bulk, I have been guided by the information found here, so I have very little in terms of personal impressions on what works and what doesn't.
My E21 is originally 316, but the times of the good old M10B16 are long gone. In its place is the not-so-coveted option of the M30B30 with Getrag 260 out of E32, 3.45 LSD with added tensioning (purported 40% lockup).
I have already acquired the front and rear strut brace, along with the "Alpina" low brace, the entire 323i brake system (with Wilwood proportioning valve for the rear axle), a set of Recaro Orthopaed to help my aching spine and I'm about to do something about the shocks and springs. My choice has fallen on Bilstein B8s for shocks and I am puzzled if I should get H&R's (-35mm on both axles) or MTS Technics (which lower 40mm on both axles but appear to be progressive). I wonder which would work best with the B8s and if there are more (and better) options. The car will be mostly street driven with my choice being mostly on twisty mountain roads.