New wheels choice

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
SFerrari
Newbee
My E21(s): 1978 E21 318 carb

New wheels choice

Post by SFerrari »

Hi,
I have a 1978 E21 318 car which is fully stock so far :-)
I'm about to drasticaly lower the car (with MTS Technik coilover if anyone knows ?) and buy new wheels.
The goal is to have a very aggressive look, even by compromising a bit the ride quality.
I aim the Japan Racing JR14 wheels. They do exist in 15" and 16" (this size is much cheaper than 15"!), and they do exist in 8 and 9" large. They have an offset of 15 and 20.
Do you beleive those wheels can fit or it is just no way, please what did you experience with big wheels in lowered cars ?

Regards

Wilmo
E21 Mad

Re: New wheels choice

Post by Wilmo »

Last weekend I fitted the rear of the MTS-set and I was surprised by how soft the springs were. So definitely something to look at if you plan to run with limited travel. I’m currently investigating the purpose of the helper springs, since they bottom out by just the static weight of the car.

Later I will have a look at the ET I’m running on my steelies.
SFerrari
Newbee

Post by SFerrari »

Really ? I understood/heard the springs were from Eibach ? So not exactly the softest springs usually ?!
Thanks by the way for the feedback !
I am really wondering also about the wheels fitment : 15 or 16", and 7 or 8" large (considering ET20 offset) ?

;-)
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

The springs are 60N/mm plus the helper springs, which are about a tenth of that. My impression in how the rear wiggles, is that they aren’t too stiff. Of course other springs can be fitted to the coil overs!

I have 6J15 ET40’s under my car and filled the ET-gap with aluminium spacers. Much larger than that… you won’t find much support here. Maybe try one of the other communities.
SFerrari
Newbee

Post by SFerrari »

Thanks Wilmo :-)
Does anyone ever thought of wide fender, or fender extension ? Does it exist ?
I'm about to think of install some, or to strech the fender's edges to make the fender wider (like with a roller fender tool).
Have you got any feedback about that ?
I beleive in that case, any 8" wheels should fit or at least 7 for sure ?

In other words, when using 7 and 8" wheels, the main issue is concerning in the interior or the exterior of the wheels ?

Also, if using 16" wheels and streching the fenders, with low profil and narrow tyres would it fit ?
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

I don't know, it is so far outside my interest. I know that space is limited and would suggest just to start and see how far you can go. My concern has always been on the inside of the wheel, because of the brakes. My goal is handling and therefore 6J15 suits me good enough.

Maybe I can fit the front coilovers this weekend, I'll at least post a picture of that because I have never seen my car with the front proportional to the rear.