What suspension upgrades fit my model

For all your questions, problems and DIY stories
p4uke
E21 starter

What suspension upgrades fit my model

Post by p4uke »

Hi

I’m having abit of trouble finding the right suspension to replace my stock on 316 1983

I’ve ordered MTS eibach coil overs which I was told would fit but have been sent back as they didn’t fit.

I’m currently looking at bilstein shocks with H&R springs but they only drop 35mm but now I’m seeing they only go up to an 82 model

Can anyone recommend any suspension that will fit my model

Thank you

BMW E21 316 1983
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Re: What suspension upgrades fit my model

Post by Jeroen »

Depends on what you want, replacement springs and dampers, or a coilover kit? How much lowering do you want?

Even though production of most E21 models seized in 1982, there are late productions that were registered in 1983, and the 315 was produced even longer to bridge the gap between the E21 and the more expensive E30, in the first years of the E30. But the suspension setup remained the same so your car has the same suspension as all other facelift models (1979-1982).
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
polov8
E21 Pro
My E21(s): '83 Polaris silver 316

Post by polov8 »

Hey, you're in Sheffield? I'm in Dronfield! Never noticed from your steering wheel post.

I have Bilstein B6's on mine, but I built them into coilovers, not so much to slam it, just to get the spring rates I wanted and the ride height low but useful.
Andy
Wilmo
E21 Mad

Post by Wilmo »

In what sense did the MTS not fit? In the way you needed to weld it to an E21 strut?

I fitted them on mine and I think they are absolutely the best alternative for suspension on an E21.

p4uke
E21 starter

Post by p4uke »

polov8 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:43 pm Hey, you're in Sheffield? I'm in Dronfield! Never noticed from your steering wheel post.

I have Bilstein B6's on mine, but I built them into coilovers, not so much to slam it, just to get the spring rates I wanted and the ride height low but useful.
I’m also in Dronfield! I think I’ve seen you around.

I’ve just ordered bilsteins b4, it’s currently down at jeepers keepers having all new brakes and soon to be suspension once it’s delivered.
BMW E21 316 1983
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

p4uke wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:30 pm I’m also in Dronfield! I think I’ve seen you around.

I’ve just ordered bilsteins b4, it’s currently down at jeepers keepers having all new brakes and soon to be suspension once it’s delivered.
Well I'll be damned! Yeah mines been my everyday driver for the last couple of years, but I just got my E39 back together after a major underside refurb, so that can absorb the salt and wet this winter. I'll still drive the E21 when it's nice though.

You'll have to let me know when you get your car back, it'd be great to meet up and compare cars!
Andy
p4uke
E21 starter

Post by p4uke »

polov8 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:02 am
p4uke wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:30 pm I’m also in Dronfield! I think I’ve seen you around.

Well I'll be damned! Yeah mines been my everyday driver for the last couple of years, but I just got my E39 back together after a major underside refurb, so that can absorb the salt and wet this winter. I'll still drive the E21 when it's nice though.

You'll have to let me know when you get your car back, it'd be great to meet up and compare cars!
Of course I’ll be in touch!

How low did you go in the B6’s?

Do you know if you can go 60mm low on the B4’s?
BMW E21 316 1983
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

You know, I have no idea how much lower my car is! The B6's are shorter than stock and designed for lowering, but I wasn't going to slam it and I did a mod to the struts to sit the shock insert as low as it can be. Then I Built them into coilovers with some Ground control parts i got from the states. It wasn't a specific kit, so i had to machine up some bits, but it meant I could fit whatever springs i wanted. I've got mine set up to handle crap roads and speed bumps, so it's not slammed, but it is a fair bit lower than stock. Put it this way, there's the odd scuff on the middle silencer, but the oil pan is unmarked!

Here's a link to the suspension page on my project thread: https://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 9&start=15
Andy
polov8
E21 Pro

Post by polov8 »

Get the car back yet? How's the new suspension? Pics?
Andy