316 - 1977 - petroscf - Greece

petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '77 EU 316 (2.0 - manual/dogleg - lsd)

Re: 316 - 1977 - petroscf - Greece

Post by petroscf »

Not ferodo ds2500 pads relevant, but I was thinking that I am missing our "group buy" days in here
Some of my car's best upgrades have come from those !

I hope it is not the forum's facebook responsible for this. :wtf

/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin
My E21(s): '81 323i Baur

Post by Jeroen »

well with more and more of the world moving to the shallowness of Facebook, forums suffer from a steep decline of visitor numbers, and that's regardless what forum. I am glad we have a strong core of true enthusiasts still active here, but numbers are way down, if I look at the number of hits, that is down by 85% compared to 10 years ago!

And for some things, it is fully understandable. Not many new developments or improvements when it comes to PHP forums and of course it is a lot easier to share a photo on Facebook. I hope we will see the introduction of a more modern forum format one day, that might lift the numbers here again. We already looked into switching to Tapatalk but that requires quite some efforts, and if we move to another format, we want to be sure that we can take 20 years of forum history here with us... that's not that easy apparently.

Anyway, to get back to your original question, with numbers way down like this, that's why there's less activity on the group buy front. But anyone is always free to start something... sometimes just a question or wanted ad is enough to wake up more people and we may do another Group Buy again one of these days!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Well I am among those who keep checking in as often as I can as you know
In my opinion an easier method to upload photos (than what is available) would be a strong advantage.
The community in here can't be compared to Facebook page, even if same people are here and there. I believe communication in here is much better
In Facebook I always have a feeling that irrelevant persons are also reading and may interfere, even if this does not happen such a feeling is there.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
nic65
Upcoming E21 fanatic

Re: 316 - 1977 - petroscf - Grecia

Post by nic65 »

Ciao,I follow the forum regularly even if I participate little because I have problems with the language, but I would be available for a group purchase
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

:thumbsup

yes, I fully agree, I love the in-depth of a forum, especially compared to people for whom clicking a like button already is a huige effort, let alone the haters safely hiding behind their pc or phone!

But yes, adding photos is the biggest shortcoming here, and this mainly has to do with the fact that you cannot set a maximum storage space per user, so if you open up the possibility of attaching images this may lead to an ever increasing need for more webspace for storage.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Jeroen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:56 am :thumbsup

yes, I fully agree, I love the in-depth of a forum, especially compared to people for whom clicking a like button already is a huige effort, let alone the haters safely hiding behind their pc or phone!

But yes, adding photos is the biggest shortcoming here, and this mainly has to do with the fact that you cannot set a maximum storage space per user, so if you open up the possibility of attaching images this may lead to an ever increasing need for more webspace for storage.
Of course!
In order for true enthusiasts to communicate, solve problems and find information, parts etc., only the forum is the ideal place.
It can't be done via a pull down comments list under a photo on Facebook.

But in order not to continue moaning, I will now change subject and go into more enthusiast-ish technical issues.
Here is a thought that is in my mind lately, and I need some technical expertise as I was not good in Physics at school :

My car is, as some people who know it say, too much loaded with electrics.
The problem is I like it as it is. However, it seems that sometimes (especially during cold winter days-yes in Greece we do have cold some times) when a lot of the electric systems are on and working together, it drains a lot of the battery.

Yes, I know this is an issue discussed again before, as I have had this for some time now.
I replaced the alternator by a higher output one, but do not see any significant difference.

So I was thinking of 2 other solutions:

1) A higher capacity (Ah size) battery. Now this would need serious (but doable) modification in the engine bay, as the factory base is almost stuck with the 62Ah Banner I've fitted in, and I don't know any size higher than this in these or smaller dimensions.

2) Two batteries? I wonder what might happen by installing-obviously in the boot - a second battery (parallel connection of course, in order to keep my 12v voltage). Here, apart from the extra weight, the big task would be hiding the cables of course, however, as I have started thinking about refreshing the car's interior, passing and hiding cables would be minor I guess.

So I would like to know, clearly technically, whether one of the two above modifications would give better and more stable electrics. Anyone's (who has experience) input here is valuable.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

What exactly are the issues you are having, and in what situations do they occur? Is the charge light functional? Does it ever come on, for example while waiting for a traffic light with the lights and the radio on? The charging current at idle is limited so if you are using a lot of energy while sitting in a traffic jam it is possible that you start draining the battery. A bad electrical connection could also limit the available electrical power in the car, or make it difficult to charge the battery properly.
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

For example, if a lot of things are working : Let's say that Radio, Radiator with air switch at 1st or 2nd speed, demist rear lines, lights and wipers are on
Then at idle the voltmeter may drop (from around 14 - indication at normal speeds with no other electrics than engine) to near 12 or even a bit less (11.8), or at normal speeds around 13.0.
So I was just wondering if a higher battery capacity would ensure an indication nearer to 14 still with lots of electrics on.

(Not forgetting electronic gauges - msd - electric pump and electric steering column things that are working all the time with the engine. Maybe each of them is almost zero draining but I guess that still all of these consist some added resistance in total?)
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

Nope that won't make much of a difference, and is no issue either imho
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Jeroen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:59 pm Nope that won't make much of a difference, and is no issue either imho
So you propose me to add those heated recaros? (plus a couple of extra gadgets I have in my mind) :loll
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

As long as the charge light does not pop up you have no issue whatsoever. I'd add a roof rack with 10 old school Hella Comets as well!
Regards/groeten, Jeroen
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

:lol:
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Jeroen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:33 am As long as the charge light does not pop up you have no issue whatsoever. I'd add a roof rack with 10 old school Hella Comets as well!
Funny thing is I already have everything ready for Hellas, switch, wiring, connection on the car, and the comets lie in my storage place (see older photos in this thread, I use to have a nice pair of yellow comet 550)...All because of the BBS apron. And this has already cost me a couple of times having to drive at night and finding misty conditions, not having the comets on.
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
petroscf
E21 VIP
E21 VIP

Post by petroscf »

Oh, and forgot to come back here after having solved the previous issue: It seems it finally was a mater of settings. Car was serviced and webers, timing etc reset. Now all back to normal again. Even better: Mechanic reset with a bit more advance. Couldn't imagine there was this much torque hidden. It now is a much more enjoyable car :driving
/oo=00=oo\
E21 Forever
Jeroen
Site Admin

Post by Jeroen »

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Regards/groeten, Jeroen