My Baur will not start

Anything that doesn't fit the other categories. Direct link: How to post photos and videos
PeterCS
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 82 BMW Baur

My Baur will not start

Post by PeterCS »

Again, this is my ongoing problem with my 315 Baur with an M10 engine. It has a Weber 32/36 carburetor with an auto choke

My car suddenly would not start this August. It always started perfectly before.

I bought a another fuel pump,a new fuel sender and a new fuel filter.

Here is where I am.
- The car starts right away when I inject starter fluid into the carburetor and then quickly dies
- the car cranks perfectly
- the fuel pump is pumping fluid to the carb.

is there a problem with my carb?  If so, why would is suddenly not work?

Running out of ideas!  Help!  

Thanks,
PeterCS
74 Inka 2002
82 315 Baur 

Peter Churchill-Smith
Peter V.
E21 VIP
E21 VIP
My E21(s): '82 320/6

Re: My Baur will not start

Post by Peter V. »

Did you actually checked if the fuel comes in the carb itself or did you remove the fuelhose?

If you inject starterfuel into the inletmanifold (as you said the carb) it runs. So enginewise and spark are all good.

It could be that your fuelchamber in the carb is not filling. Maybe the needle is stuck in the closed position.
You cab check if you have fuel in the carb by looking into the inlet and press the accelator. Normally your acc.pump of the carb sprays fuel into the carb. If there comes nothing you have an empty fuelchamber.
Gr Peter V.

.Some say he eats nuts and bolts for breakfast, all we know is he is called the carburetorman.

BMW E21, 1981 320/6 Ascot Grau.
BMW E85, 2004 Z4 2.5i Sterling Grau.
BMW F31, 2017 320dA EDE Luxuryline Mineral Grau.
PeterCS
Upcoming E21 fanatic
My E21(s): 82 BMW Baur

Re: My Baur will not start

Post by PeterCS »

I removed the hose from the mechanical pump to the carb and then cranked the engine to ensure that the pump was pumping fuel - it was. Did not think that the carb chamber might not be filling. Will check. Thank you. PeterCS
Peter Churchill-Smith